2023 Summer Camp will be held at Camp Ed Bryant Scout Reservation in Mauston, WI. This year summer camp will be the week of June 16th – 24th.
Every summer, Troop 889 takes a week-long camping trip known as Summer Camp. Summer Camp is one of the most cherished experiences of Scouts in the Troop. First of all, at Summer Camp, Scouts are able to be productive and accomplish a lot. It’s a great place to earn lots of Merit Badges at once. Also, Scouts get to enjoy the outdoors and take part in activities such as swimming, rowing, games, etc. while interacting with boys from different Troops around the U.S.
If you are attending Summer Camp, here is the Camp-recommended packing list, along with Troop 889’s first-hand, expert commentary!
Also, below are some tips for summer camp packing:
- Your Scout WILL HAVE TO CARRY everything you send with him from the parking lot to the campsite – and be able to re-pack to carry back out!
- There is a very high probability your Scout will not change his clothes every day (if at all!) Avoid sending him with a clean set of clothes for every day of camp.
- Open toed shoes/sandals are ONLY allowed in camp at the waterfront.
- Tents have mattresses in them. If you have a first-year scout who needs to sleep in a troop tent, they can use their bunk mat. Bringing your own sleeping pad isn’t required, but some do anyway.
- How much money to send is up to you. There is a trading post where the kids like to hang out – snacks/drinks/ice cream as well as hats, t-shirts, scout gear etc.
- OA Members (dues current) should bring their OA sash and any regalia they may have.